Student Health/Clinic

Staff contact, student medication, illness procedures, and more

Clinic Phone Number


  • 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.


  • School Health Aide: Gilda Rodriguez
  • Public Health Nurse: Maricel Villarivera


Students with the following symptoms should remain home from school: vomiting, diarrhea, watery and inflamed eyes, and fever.  

  • Fever: If your child has a fever of 100.4 or higher, keep them at home until his or her fever is below 100.4 for 24 hours without the use of fever reducing medication. If the fever does not go away after 2-3 days or is 102.0 or higher, consult with a health care provider. Students must be fever free for 24 hours, without the use of medication, before returning to school. 
  • Vomiting or Diarrhea: Keep your child home until symptoms have stopped for 24 hours.

To protect our students, we require a doctor’s note stating that he/she may return to school following symptoms of: certain rashes, pink eye, impetigo, ringworm and scabies. The Health Room Aide may need to call you to pick up your child if they exhibit symptoms of illnesses such as: fever over 100.4 degrees, persistent abdominal pain, vomiting or diarrhea, unexplained rash, and persistent cough.

For detailed guidance on when to keep your child home or have them come to school, refer to these FCPS Guidelines.

Student Health 

Health Information Form

The Health Information Form is to be completed by the parent or guardian at the start of each school year. The completed form is to be returned to the Health Room.

Prescription Medications

The school is not permitted to administer any medication unless a parent has completed a medical permission form that contains a doctor’s signature. Do not send medication to school with your child (to include over the counter medication). Parents must bring any medicine to school and check it in with the Health Room Aide (HRA).

Children who need to take medication during school hours must have a signed Medication Authorization, Release, and Indemnification Form. Prescription medications require the signature of both the parent and the physician. Inhalers and EpiPens require authorization forms.

Over-the-counter Medications

Over-the-counter (OTC) medications are drugs that can be purchased without a doctor's prescription and are used for the relief of symptoms on a temporary basis. With parent and physician authorization, OTC medications may be given on an "as needed" basis throughout the school year. Parents may authorize limited use for 10 consecutive days with a completed Medication Authorization FormExamples include antihistamines for allergic reactions.

With parent permission using the Medication Authorization Form, certain OTC medications may be given on an "as needed" basis throughout the school year only as a pain reliever for headaches, muscle aches, menstrual cramps, or orthodontic pain. The medication must be supplied by the parent in its original container. Examples include Tylenol, Advil, Pamprin, and aspirin.

Transport of Medications to and from School

Parents must transport medications to and from school. All medications must be kept in the health room and taken under adult supervision. Middle school children are not permitted to carry medications, including OTC medications, except for prescription inhalers or EpiPens with the authorization of their parent(s) and physician.

Scheduling Medical Appointments

Please make every effort to schedule appointments outside of school hours. When this is not possible, please send a note to the school on the morning of the appointment stating the time the child will be picked up. Children should bring appointment notes to the attendance secretary before homeroom. The student's name will then be shown on an early dismissal list so teachers will know the student is not cutting class. For safety reasons, parents must sign out children in the office.

Release of Student from School

Only those individuals designated on the Emergency Care Information form will be contacted either to excuse or take your student home. If the School Health Aide contacts you to excuse your student from school, they must have voice contact with the responsible adult to dismiss the student from school grounds. In an emergency, 911 will be called prior to contacting the parent.